Over the past few months i have been playing Star Trek Attack Wing (STAW). I started because i play X-wing the Star wars version as i am a big SW fan and the fact that STAW uses the same rules system (Flightpath system) was a huge bonus to me, it saved me learning another set of rules. Also with the painting list getting bigger and bigger, pre painted miniature was a very welcome bonus.
Before i started playing this game, i can honestly say that i wasn't a star trek fan. Don't get me wrong i enjoyed the original movies, when i was growing up (Star Trek IV The voyage home was always a favourite) but i didn't watch any of the series in the star trek franchise. It took a friend to persuade me to buy the game, and i'm glad i did.
After getting a few of the expansion ships i started looking for the episodes the ships where featured in to get a bit of context for the ships and crew. The ships come from all corners of the star trek universe from the Klingon D7 I.K.S Gr'oth ship from the Trouble with tribbles , an original series episode to the U.S.S Equinox from Voyager.
|Klingon D7 class I.K.S Gr'oth|
Each of the expansions come with a mission card so you can play a mission that usually has relevance to its involvement in the story. For example the U.S.S Reliant has the mission card that lets you re fight the battle against Khan in the Mutara Nebula. This is one of the appeals for me, that is to replay all the battles in the original films.
The massive choice of ships and captain's gives you great flexibility as the captains don't have to stay with the ships that they came with, they can even cross faction. So you can have Jean-luc Picard on a Borg tactical cube can be locutus of borg, or Kirk onboard the Klingon bird of prey with his crew.
The upgrades are my favourite part of the fleet building. Each ship as different upgrade slots depending on the class. These vary from crew, tech and weapon upgrades. Some captains have access to elite talents.
Compared to X-wing there is a lot more factions you can use if you wanted to play pure non mixed forces.
I prefer to play with pure single faction forces.
The choices available are
- Species 8472
- Mirror universe
The miniatures are good and detailed, but the paint job is what lets everything down. the range as a whole is a bit hit or miss. Some ships look fantastic like the U.S.S Equinox and the U.S.S Excelsior. but others look bland and are in need of a details like the Borg Tactical Cube, i had to add a few patches of bright green and a dark wash to make it look less plastic.
The large variety of crew and cross faction upgrades, makes each battle feel like its own mini episode.
- U.S.S Enterprise - Constitution class
- U.S.S Enterprise Refit - Constitution class
- U.S.S Enterprise- D - Galaxy class
- U.S.S Reliant - Miranda class
- U.S.S Excelsior - Excelsior class
- U.S.S Voyager - Intrepid class
- U.S.S Equinox - Nova class
- U.S.S Enterprise- E - Sovereign class
- U.S.S Enterprise NX-01 - NX-01 class
- U.S.S Stargazer - Constellation class
- I.K.S Gr'oth - D7 Class
- I.K.S Kronos one - K'tinga Class
- I.K.S Maht-H'a - Vor'cha Class
- Chang's Bird of prey- Klingon Bird of prey
- I.R.W. Khazara - D'Deridex Class
- I.R.W. Gal Gath'thong - Romulan bird-of-prey
- R.I.S Apnex - Romulan Science Vessel
- Scimitar - Reman Warbird
- Tactical Cube 138 - Borg Tactical Cube
- Borg Sphere 4270 - Borg Sphere
- Borg Soong - Borg Ship Type 03
- Scout Cube 508 - Borg Scout cube
- Queen Vessel Prime - Borg Octahedron
- Interceptor 5 - Bajoran Interceptor
- I.S.S Defiant - Defiant class
- AssimilationTarget Prime/U.S.S Enterprise-D -Galaxy class
And no doubt more will be coming soon
"I'm from Iowa, i only work in outer space." - Kirk